How can you recycle used hearing aids? The answer is always the same whether you decide to upgrade to a more sophisticated model like cochlear implants or you got them from a departed relative: your used hearing aids need to be donated instead of throwing them away.
There are plenty of people dealing with loss of hearing who could use a donated hearing aid, and a number of institutions out there that collect and distribute those hearing aids to the people in need. Keep reading to discover how and why to donate used hearing aids.
Why You Should Think About Donating Your Used Hearing Aids
- Approximately 14% of the total population, has loss of hearing
- Of all of the adults who have hearing loss 91% percent are above 50 years old
- There is evidence of loss of hearing in 15% of school aged children
- Hearing aids would help approximately 29 million adults with hearing loss, but…
- …hearing aids are actually utilized by only 16% (4.6 million) of them
- The general age for first-time hearing aid users is 70, but again…
- Less than 30% of individuals over 70 who need hearing aids have ever used them
This is very worrisome. Because health issues like mental decline, greater risk of falling, and depression have been associated with untreated hearing loss. The value of your hearing to your general health is backed up by new research coming out regularly. These health issues can be avoided and in certain situations reversed by hearing aids.
And loss of hearing will cost the average family up to $12,000 each year which should be an extremely compelling fact. But hearing aids can actually mitigate that cost by up to 50%.
For a family that loses out on $12,000 every year, it might just not be possible for them to afford a hearing aid.
Your old hearing aid can have a big effect, in the health, quality of life and financial well-being, for an individual in need who couldn’t normally afford a hearing aid. It may also cost a child the ability to go to college and better their lives because they are unable to hear in school.
How to Donate Your Used Hearing Aid
Old hearing aids are recycled and dispensed by lots of manufacturers and volunteer organizations. Come and talk with us so we can guide you on the right recycling choice for you. Or you can just give us a call.